Volunteer with the Friends
Join like-minded people, and make a vital contribution to Valley Forge National Historical Park.
There a many ways to get involved and “give back” to the Park. From birders and recreational users, to environmentalists, history buffs, and Muster Roll researchers, let’s talk and find a meaningful role for your interest, time, and talents.
Your participation is needed and encouraged. To volunteer and for more information, please complete and email the Volunteer Inquiry Form or call 610-783-1777.
Ways to Volunteer and Give Back
- Plan social events like the Friends’ Annual Reception
- Coordinate activities during special events like Washington’s Birthday Celebration
- Participate in topic and speaker selections for the Friends Speaker Series
- Assist with home school groups and educational outreach programs
- Research and authenticate new additions to the Muster Roll
- Get involved with the Membership Committee and engage people to support the Park.
- Get involved with the Programs Committee and help create unique learning opportunities and activities.
- Get involved with the Young Friends and join other young professionals to help organize special events, social media efforts, and volunteer projects.
- Assist in preservation efforts, trail clean-up days and other Park-wide projects
Volunteer with Valley Forge National Historical Park
Do something Revolutionary — volunteer at Valley Forge
National Historical Park and help care for this special place!
Volunteers-In-Parks (VIPs) work side-by-side with National Park Service employees and partners in all program areas at Valley Forge NHP.
Anyone can be a VIP. Individuals, couples, families, students, and organized groups can volunteer. Those under 18 years of age may volunteer with the official, signed permission of a parent or guardian.
VIPs play an ever-increasing role at Valley Forge doing a variety of jobs from:
- Working at an information desk answering visitor questions
- Helping with landscape and building preservation projects
- Helping to remove invasive species
- Assisting with preservation of cultural resources and much, much more...
Learn how you can get involved!
Check out the park’s current volunteer opportunities.
Cold weather doesn’t end the war on weeds. Volunteer and make a year-round difference on the preservation and restoration of the Park’s native biodiversity. Assignments include removal of invasive non-native species to re-establish native plants and assist the animal communities they support. Click here to read more about the importance of Weed Warriors.
Remaining dates for winter/spring Weed Warrior program: To enroll, please email Kate Jensen or call 610-783-1035.
|Saturday, February 21||noon – 3 pm|
|Saturday, March 21||noon – 3 pm|
|Saturday, April 18||noon – 3 pm|
|Saturday, May 16||9 am – noon|
|Saturday, June 6||time tba|
|2nd Saturday of the Month March – November||(weather permitting)|
Suitable for: Adults, Kids, Teens, Seniors, Groups, Family
Volunteers meet the 2nd Saturday of the month to help clean up and maintain trails in Valley Forge NHP. No trails maintenance skill necessary and training will be provided. Valley Forge NHP will provide tools. The work requires occasional effort in lifting heavy materials.
Bring water, snacks, protective eye wear and work gloves. Wear comfortable clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty such as long-sleeve shirts, long pants and hiking boots.
You must be 13 and older to participate. For youth under the age of 18, parental approval is required and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to participate.
Meet at 9am in the small parking lot off Yellow Springs Road (near the white Covered Bridge on Route 252). Work ends by noon. Come join the fun!
Trails work projects include:
- Clearing draining features
- Removing limbs and downed trees from across the trail tread
- Cutting back over grown brush to maintain trail corridor
- Blazing to direct trail user
- Stabilization and rehabilitation projects to prevent trail erosion
- Trash removal
|Saturday, September 27, 2014 9 am – 1 pm||VFNHP Lower Parking Lot|
Please bring work gloves and arrive by 8:45 am. Rain or shine.
Lend a “helping hand” for America at the nation’s largest hands-on volunteer effort to improve and enhance our 600 million acres of public lands. Join park staff and your neighbors on this day set aside to care for Valley Forge National Historical Park.
YOUNG FRIENDS FUNDRAISING COOK-OUT 11 am – 2 pm
Volunteers are needed to distribute drinks, grill food, and assist with games.
Sign-up: Call 610-783-1777 or email.
|Monday, January 20, 2014 8:30am – 1 pm||Meet in the Visitor Center by 8:45 am|
Join us for a day of service in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. and help the Park with preservation maintenance projects. Make the holiday a day ON, where people of all ages and backgrounds come together to improve lives, bridge social barriers, and move our nation closer to the “Beloved Community” that Dr. King envisioned.
There will be a variety of tasks for all ages. Hope you can join us for a day of positive energy and great park-progress!